The Hero’s Journey – Deep Dive Community (DDC)
In the past 18 months, we all have collectively taken part in an arduous rite of passage:
- The Separation – We’ve been unwillingly distanced from the old ways of doing things, from our communities we’ve loved and relied on, and from the known and the usual that provided a sense of comfort and stability;
- The Ordeal – We’ve been challenged, some of us more than others, and we’ve suffered and were often disoriented. We’ve experienced uncertainty and faced trials of all kinds, and even faced the ‘brush of death’;
- The Return – As we return, we need a community to welcome all of us back, with a recognition that we must share what was lost and celebrate together what was gained
We invite all faculty to join us this Fall semester at this intensive mini-learning community to deep dive into the topics of loss and renewal. In this Hero’s Journey Deep Dive Community, we will be sharing our stories of separation and return and reflect together on how we might rebuild our practices, pedagogies, and our classrooms in order to serve all our students better.
Here are some questions we will be working through together:
- What have we lost? – What practices and pedagogies are no longer viable?
- What have we found? – What teaching practices did we learn to be more effective and valuable?
- What have we feared? – And where have we failed in our journey?
- What has been awakened? – What did we realize about ourselves, our students, our curriculum?
- What have we learned? – And what else is there for us to explore further?
- Who have we become?
- How do we synthesize these things for moving forward?
We offer this Deep Dive in two series this Fall: Series 1 (Sept-Oct) and Series 2 (Oct-Nov). While the larger theme for both series will remain the same (The Hero’s Journey), the first series will emphasize the ‘reflecting’ and the second series ‘rebuilding’ a bit more. Participants are welcome to join for either one or both series as their time and commitment allows.
Dates and Times
Sept 14 – Oct 5
Zoom calls Tuesdays at 10 am on: 9/14, 9/21, 10/5 (one hour each)
Face to face (optional) meeting on Tuesday 9/28
Oct 19 – Nov 9
Zoom calls Tuesdays at 10 am on: 10/19, 10/26, 11/9 (one hour each)
Face to face (optional) meeting on Wednesday* 11/3 (because of Election Day)
Orientation to Deep Dive Community
If you are interested in participating in any of these two Deep Dive Communities, join us for a brief (30 min) DDC Orientation Zoom call on Tuesday, September 7 at 10:30 am.
Register in advance for the Orientation Call for Sep 7, 2021 10:30 AM Eastern Time:
Application for the Deep Dive Community
If you are interested in taking part, please complete this brief application by the end of September 2021. We’ll be in touch with further details. Limited spots available; first come first serve basis.
Stipend $250 (for part time faculty only, must complete the requirements)