Information compiled from the Q&A session during the Fall 2022 New Faculty Orientation
Resources for Teaching
- The Center for Teaching and Learning: prattctl.com
- Library’s resources for faculty: https://library.pratt.edu/faculty/
- Library tutorials: https://libguides.pratt.edu/faculty/instruction
- New Faculty Orientation information: https://prattctl.com/new-faculty-orientation/
- Supporting Faculty series for more information on Learning/Access Center, Student Wellness, and Mental Health; Canvas LMS; Mindfulness and Resilience; Title IX and OIA; and Library and Research
- Pedagogy Refresh self-paced series to learn and reflect about topics such as Universal Design for Learning, Student Engagement, Community Building, and Feedback
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Information about the Office of DEI: https://www.pratt.edu/about/diversity-equity-inclusion/
- The DEI Allies Training & Resources will be updated the first week of classes.
- For detailed information about Title IX’s updated policies for pregnant and parenting students, click here
- The L/AC is pleased to partner with you in Pratt’s commitment to accommodating students with disabilities. We value your alliance and welcome your feedback. For questions/concerns, contact email@example.com (718.802.3123) or the L/AC advisor listed on the letter. We also respond to Starfish flags. Join us for office hours on Wednesdays and Thursdays 12:30-1:30 https://pratt.zoom.us/j/93381625282?pwd=cG04UnpYYWdYUVVEZ1U5NHZZVWxQQT09
- Pratt’s service animal and emotional support animal policy: https://www.pratt.edu/policies/service-animal-and-emotional-support-policy/
- Stay up to date on Pratt’s latest Covid protocols: https://www.pratt.edu/coronavirus/
- Download the PrattSafe app to be cleared for campus access once you’ve submitted your proof of vaccination.
- To learn about taking students on field trips and other off-campus visits, scroll to the bottom of this page: https://www.pratt.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-guidelines-and-policies/
- Faculty can use Starfish to send messages, raise concerns and alerts, ask for assistance, provide feedback and referrals, and create an appointment-making platform. Questions about Starfish, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Check with your department to learn about departmental policies for attendance. For Institute-wide attendance policies, click here.
- For a video showing faculty how to use Starfish, click here.
Canvas is the Learning Management System (LMS) that Pratt uses. Starfish is an online platform that is a student success tool designed to improve communication and workflows around student engagement and support.
Canvas is the best place to share materials, class information, syllabi, assignment information, files, and more with your students. Sign in with your Pratt OneKey to get started. Here is an overview video of Canvas to get started. When you log on, you will see that your courses have been populated with the students who are enrolled in your classes, and this will continue to happen automatically every semester.
All Canvas courses should include the class syllabus, professor contact information, and the link to the class Zoom (if applicable). We also strongly suggest that any files and materials necessary for the course are posted here, so that students can access all necessary information for their courses in one central location. It is up to you how you wish to use Canvas to best support your courses and teaching style, and we will help you navigate Canvas in the way which best suits you and your students. We recommend that if you choose to record attendance and grades, you use Canvas to do so. More about Pratt’s Attendance Policy can be found here.
For more information about Canvas, check out the Canvas resources on the CTL’s website. There is a link here to all training options available for Canvas, both synchronous and asynchronous.
- Launchpad provides access to a cloud-based application streaming service (AWS Appstream) enabling Pratt students, faculty and staff to access software typically found in Pratt’s computer lab via a web browser.
- Adobe Creative Cloud is available for faculty and students, more info here.
- Pratt faculty, staff, and students have access to Miro. More info here.
- Pratt faculty, students, and staff also have access to:
- Any computer in the classrooms or the labs is OneKey accessible.
- Reach out to the Technology Desk if you have any issues with the equipment in your classroom.
- Communicating with students: Some departments are using Slack to communicate with students. Otherwise, use Pratt emails or Canvas inbox. Let students know how they can expect to hear from you!
- Pratt Commons is no longer available to be used to create new sites. Google Sites is a great alternative option if students need to create individual websites in your class.
- Check with your department to learn about programs full course requirements, classroom locations and assigned rooms for your courses, and dedicated spaces for faculty to print.
- Get in contact with your chair if you’re unsure what building and classroom your course is scheduled for. Once you know what classroom you’ll be in, you can check this page to see what equipment is available in that room.
- Find the syllabus template at the bottom of this page, and be sure to check with your department for departmental policies and guidelines that should be included.
Access to spaces
- For faculty to touch down after class, check with your department for specific spaces. In addition, there is a faculty space in the PI shop, and join us at the Center for Teaching and Learning on the 2nd floor of the library.
- Pratt no longer has the agreement with LIU about the pool. But here is info about Pratt Recreation: https://www.pratt.edu/student-life/athletics-recreation/
- Reserve space in different rooms around campus using 25Live
- Parking pass information: https://www.pratt.edu/the-institute/public-safety/parking/
Pratt Senate Links
Information about Fulbright Scholars: